Board Procedures for Public Participation
Individuals desiring to address the Board at a regular monthly meeting of the Board of Education must adhere to the following policy of the Pickens County Board of Education.
Policy BCBI: Public Participation in Board Meetings Pickens County Schools
Original Adopted Date: 11/01/1994 | Last Revised Date: 05/06/2004 | Last Reviewed Date: 02/08/2018 | Status: ADOPTED
Meetings of the Board of Education are structured to allow the Board to conduct its public business. Meetings of the Board are open to the public but are not to be confused with public forums. When time permits, the Board of Education as a matter of general operating procedure offers an opportunity for legal residents of Pickens County to address the Board in open session. The following rules shall be adhered to:
- To be placed on the agenda, a citizen must request to appear before the Board in writing at least five (5) days prior to the regular monthly meeting of the Board. The request must state clearly the topic or issue to be addressed.
Please click this button to download a Public Participation Request Form..
- Each citizen whose name is placed on the agenda will be given five (5) minutes to make their comments, but the total time allotted to citizen participation will be limited to twenty (20) minutes. Citizens may reduce additional concerns to writing and submit to the Board of Education if five (5) minutes does not provide sufficient time.
- Where several citizens wish to address the same topic or issue, the Board reserves the right to further limit discussions should they become repetitive.
- While citizens may use their allotted time to take serious issue with Board decisions, the Board will not permit anyone to become personally abusive of individual board members or board employees.
- When issues arise that stimulate high community interest, the Board may schedule special meetings specifically to Invite public comment. In those circumstances, the Board will establish special guidelines for participation.
- The Board will not respond to comments or questions posed by citizens in their presentations but will take those comments and questions under advisement.
Pickens County Schools
Date Adopted: 11/01/1994
Last Revised: 05/06/2004
State Reference: O.C.G.A 16-11-0034