Pickens County Board of Education
Public Participation at Meetings of the Board
Please note the contact information below.
Mrs. Martha Segers
Pickens County Schools
100 D. B. Carroll Street
Jasper, GA 30143
(706) 253-1700 phone
(706) 253-1705 fax
Public Participation in Board Meetings
Meetings of the Board of Education are structured to allow the Board to conduct its public business. Meetings of the Board are open to the public, but are not to be confused with public forums. When time permits, the Board of Education as a matter of general operating procedure offers an opportunity for legal residents of Pickens County to address the Board in open session. The following rules shall be adhered to:
1. To be placed on the agenda, a citizen must request to appear before the Board in writing at least five (5) days prior to the regular monthly meeting of the Board. The request must state clearly the topic or issue to be addressed.
2. Each citizen whose name is placed on the agenda will be given five (5) minutes to make their comments, but the total time allotted to citizen participation will be limited to twenty (20) minutes. Citizens may reduce additional concerns to writing and submit to the Board of Education if five (5) minutes does not provide sufficient time.
3. Where several citizens wish to address the same topic or issue, the Board reserves the right to further limit discussions should they become repetitive.
4. While citizens may use their allotted time to take serious issue with Board decisions, the Board will not permit anyone to become personally abusive of individual board members or board employees.
5. When issues arise that stimulate high community interest, the Board may schedule special meetings specifically to Invite public comment. In those circumstances, the Board will establish special guidelines for participation.
6. The Board will not respond to comments or questions posed by citizens in their presentations but will take those comments and questions under advisement.
Pickens County Schools
Date Adopted: 11/1/1994
Last Revised: 5/6/2004
Preventing or disrupting a meeting of General Assembly or other meetings of members
O.C.G.A 16-11-0035 Removal from campus or facility of unit of university system or school; failure to leave
O.C.G.AS0-14-0001 Open Meetings Act: notice; minutes; telecommunication conferences
These references are not Intended to be part of the policy itself, nor do they indicate the basis or authority for the board to enact this policy. Instead, they are provided as additional resources for those interested In the subject matter of the policy.